• Researchers : seeking knowledge and local data to understand the demographics of attraction and participation on the coast
• Advocates: for initiatives, participation opportunities and infrastructure to support a thriving young adult population on the coast.
• Consultants: for local organizations and governments on the issues concerning the younger generation of the Coast
• Promoters: of events and opportunities for young adults
We envision a future for the Sunshine Coast that includes a thriving, diverse population of young adults and families as part of the make-up of our community. We aim to adjust the predominant image of the Coast from being primarily a retirement community, to a place for all generations to enjoy.
• To develop a coordinated, coast-wide branding strategy targeted to young adults.
• To support Local initiatives and infrastructure that will attract young adults
• To actively engage and empower the younger generation currently living on the Sunshine Coast
• To diversify employment opportunities; encourage job development and support effective succession planningWhy are we doing this?
We believe that a healthy future for the Coast is dependent on having a thriving, demographically diverse community. As the Sunshine Coast Community Foundation recently reported (Vital Signs), our Coast currently has a serious demographic deficit when it comes to a the 20 to 44 year old residents (right). Research and citizen input indicated concerns / causes may be linked to a lack of employment, widening gap between rich and poor, recent job losses and lack of affordable housing. Our recent research is leading us to believe that in addition to these concerns, the lack of an active and visible night life may also be responsible.